Friday, August 5, 2011

Prologues—First Post


So, this is my first blog post.  That is to say, it is not my first blog post ever, but it is my first blog post here.  I had a blog once before.  I think I wrote it in twice; I was not terribly interested in blogging at the time.  Before that, I had a LiveJournal.  I did write in that one a number of times, but for some reason I only told maybe three people about it, ostensibly so that it could be more honest and journal-like, all about my considerable angst and interpersonal drama.  I was somewhere between 14 and 16 at the time, so it was all angst and drama.  And homework.  So, so much homework.
                                                                                 
But, like the first blog after it, I eventually abandoned the LiveJournal.  I suppose I got tired of whining on it, or I got overwhelmed by how pointless the reading of it was.  It was basically a journal that (maybe) three other people read.  So yeah, I eventually forgot about it.

And yet here I am again.  Why, you ask?  And by you, I mean me, over and over and over again while I thought about what to write in the proverbial first post.  Why should I waste my time doing writing I won’t get paid for?  When I could be, you know, looking for a job, or a way to move out of my parents’ houses?  Honestly?  I think I need a place for a little self-reflection.  And I finally came up with a name for it that didn’t make me want to punch myself in the face.

It’s not the greatest name in the world, I’m sure.  But I am monumentally terrible at titles, so when this one popped into my head, cheesy as it is, I was ecstatic.  Of course, it happened to pop into my head while I was showering for the first time in three days, so it is entirely possible that the whole “ecstatic” thing was more about the oil draining from my scalp.  Who knows.  But point is, I’m really bad at titling things, and this one is sort of okay, so this one it is.

Also, to give credit where it’s due, I’ve been spending a fair amount of time reading other people’s blogs lately, and that credit is due here:  Kate as of Late and Beth’s Take.

So I think I’ve rounded up all the first-post topics and it’s about time to pack it in.  Let me end with this:

All day, it has been raining a miserable, gross, humid, porous, summer-rain, the kind that does not wash the world clean so much as it steams the world’s windows up.  It has been raining this rain and it plans to rain it some more later on, and yet the neighbors have turned their sprinkler on in the back yard.  It is not an automatic sprinkler.  I watched Mr. Neighbor walk out in his shorts and oddly hairless bulging belly and place it there.  Perhaps they are in fact campaigning to destroy their grass through drowning, as some revenge against their five absurdly aggressive dogs.  I do not know.  One of the mysteries of the universe, I guess.

3 comments:

  1. "And I finally came up with a name for it that didn’t make me want to punch myself in the face."
    You're hilarious.
    I personally love the title. And that you now have a blog.
    I am so excited to be able to "read" you again. Your words have always been my favorite!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Kate. Btw, the only thing I've ever titled really well was my work blog (All Aboard) because Kirkwood is a train city. I thought it was brilliant, and then discovered another city publication was already using it...sigh. Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several comments:

    1) You are such a weirdly bitter person. And by that, I mean: yay Sara your first blog post is so good! And I love your sentence structure! And the tone! Except that that tone is weirdly bitter/cynical/&c! It's funny to me to contrast the joy of reading good writing with the self-deprecating tone you employ. You're a weirdo. ...Weirdo.
    2) Psh, whatever, I've definitely gone a week...maybe a week and a day...without showering, and by this I mean like all of this past academic year and even this summer. In Virginia. In the heat. So. Three days; pshaw, you can shut it. N00b.
    3) Your rain description. Heart.
    4) Your SIS-gendered neighbour walked out in his oddly hairless bulging belly? Also heart.
    5) I haven't been e-mailing your Wesleyan account, but I will now, and it will be like buried treasure. Think cat litter. Yeah. Now we're talking.

    ReplyDelete